The flavour and aroma of Indian chicken masala are created by combining a range of spices and herbs. Depending on geographical and personal preferences, the specific spices and herbs used in the recipe can vary. Some of the basic ingredients added to a chicken masala recipe are cumin, coriander seeds, turmeric powder, chillies, black pepper, Kasuri methi, dry ginger, ajwain, garlic, and natural spices. With basic spices in the curry, the curry gets the flavour of earthy, zesty and mildly sweet flour. Turmeric powder and red chillies give a warm and smokey flavor to the dish.
Table of Contents
Flavors of chicken masala recipe
Indian cuisine’s popular chicken masala dish is made up of chicken pieces cooked in a hearty, spicy sauce. The chicken is marinated in a spice mixture before being cooked in oil and set aside to prepare chicken curry. The chicken and other spices are then added and simmered until aromatic in the same pan where the onion, garlic, and ginger were added earlier. Then, to make a creamy sauce, tomatoes or tomato paste, coconut milk, or cream, can be added. The meal is finished with a garnish of fresh coriander leaves. Often, chicken curry is eaten with rice or flatbreads like naan or roti.
Chicken dishes from Indian cuisine are renowned for being tasty and aromatic and are popular all over the world. These meals, along with many others, have become increasingly popular in part due to the rich and nuanced flavors that are produced by the use of a range of spices and herbs. The meals also illustrate the protein’s adaptability and the variety of Indian cuisine, with its many regional variations. The global demand for wholesome, tasty cuisine is projected to drive further growth in the appeal of Indian chicken recipes.
Ingredients used in chicken masala recipe
Chicken masala – we have used BON chicken masala in the recipe, which has the blend of all the basic ingredients like cumin, coriander seeds, turmeric powder, Chilies, Black Pepper, Kasuri Methi, Dry Ginger, Ajwain, Garlic, Salt, and Natural spices. These spices impart amazing flavor to the dish.
Other ingredients – for the richness and the flavours various other ingredients like tomatoes, onion, ginger garlic paste, green chillies and tamarind is used in the dish.
Ingredients for the chicken masala recipe
- Chicken pieces – 1 kg
- Chicken masala – 4 to 5 tsp
- Finely chopped onions – 2
- Oil/ghee – 2 tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Green chillies – 2
- Chopped tomato – 1
- Tamarind – ½ lemon sized
- finely chopped coriander leaves – 2 tsp
Method to prepare chicken masala recipe
1. Wash and clean 1 kg chicken pieces and add 1 tsp salt.
2. 4 to 5 tsp BON chicken masala and mix well.
3. Soak ½ lemon-sized tamarind in warm water and keep it aside.
4. The chicken needs to be marinated for around 30 minutes.
5. Heat a deep-bottomed vessel, as it heats add 2 tbsp ghee/oil.
6. When the oil warms up, add 2 finely chopped onions and fry well.
7. To the onions add 2 tsp ginger garlic paste and fry well.
8. Add 2-slit green chillies and fry well.
9. Now add 1 big chopped tomato and cook until the tomatoes turn soft.
10. Add the marinated chicken and mix well.
11. Now add salt if needed and mix well.
12. Add the lime juice to the chicken and mix well.
13. You can add water at this point as required for the gravy and combine well.
14. Cover and cook the chicken on medium flame, stirring occasionally and cook until the chicken is cooked.
15. Maintain a thick gravy consistency; add water if required.
16. Adjust the salt.
17. Garnish with 2 tsp of finely chopped coriander leaves.
18. Spicy and tasty chicken gravy is now ready to enjoy with rice, roti or naan
Tips and tricks to prepare chicken masala recipe
- The masala powder used in the dish has salt in it, be cautious while adding the salt in the later stages.
- You can cook this curry either in ghee or oil, based on your preference.
- For extra richness and creaminess in the gravy, you can add cashew paste or coconut milk to the dish.
- Try to add bone-in chicken pieces to the dishes, to get an exquisite taste in the dish.
- The gravy consistency can be altered based on preference.
- Do not skip the marination step as it flavours the recipe.
- Instead of tamarind juice, you can even add lemon juice to get the tangy taste in the dish.
- If you want the dish to be extra spicy, you can even use red chilli powder.
- You can serve this gravy with rice, dosa, idli or roti.
- You can also add yoghurt while marinating the chicken to make the curry creamy and rich.
- Following the same recipe, you can also make dry chicken masala and enjoy as a starter.
Scrumptious Chicken Masala Recipe
Ingredients for the chicken masala recipe
- 1 kg Chicken pieces
- 4 to 5 tsp Chicken masala
- 2 no Finely chopped onions
- 2 tbsp Oil/ghee
- 2 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 no Green chillies
- 1 no Chopped tomato
- ½ no lemon sized Tamarind
- 2 tsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- Wash and clean 1 kg chicken pieces and add 1 tsp salt, 4 to 5 tsp BON chicken masala and mix well.
- Soak ½ lemon sized tamarind in warm water and keep it aside.
- The chicken needs to be marinated for around 30 minutes.
- Heat a deep-bottomed vessel, as it heats, add 2 tbsp ghee/oil.
- When the oil warms up, add 2 finely chopped onions and fry well.
- Fry the onion until they turn lightly brown.
- To the onions add 2 tsp ginger garlic paste and fry well.
- Add 2-slit green chillies and fry well.
- Now add 1 big chopped tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes turn soft.
- Add the marinated chicken and mix well.
- Now add salt if needed and mix well.
- Add the tamarind juice to the chicken and mix well.
- You can add water at this point as required for the gravy and combine well.
- Cover and cook the chicken on medium flame, stirring occasionally and cook until the chicken is cooked.
- Maintain a thick gravy consistency; add water if required.
- Adjust the salt in the chicken masala.
- Garnish with 2 tsp of finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Spicy and tasty chicken gravy is now ready to enjoy with rice, roti or naan.
What is chicken masala powder made of?
Chicken masala powder has a blend of all the basic ingredients like cumin, coriander seeds, turmeric powder, chillies, black pepper, kasuri methi, dry ginger, ajwain, garlic, salt, and natural spices.
Is the chicken masala gravy spicy?
This recipe is mildly spicy with balanced tangy and sweet flavours in the dish.
How long should the chicken be marinated?
Chicken needs minimum marination of 30 minutes, with a mix of chicken masala powder.
Can you add yogurt for marinating chicken?
Yes, You can add yogurt for marinating chicken along with chicken masala powder.